Friday, December 30, 2005

I Can't Think of a Pithy Title

I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating: My name is Jon, and I have a subscription to Wizard. Like most addicts, I'm quick to blame someone else. I haven't actually paid for an issue in a little under ten years. My grandma, God bless her soul, keeps on re-upping the subscription for my birthday, and I diligently read it, usually muttering obscenities to no one in particular or resisting the urge to roll my eyes at the One Millionth Drunk Tony Stark Joke I've Read.

Point is, I think someone at my local post office has been opening the polybag, reading the magazine, and then resealing it with some sort of government trickery and/or magic, as I tend to not see hide nor hair of it for weeks after it's published. Case in point: I got #171 in the mail yesterday.

I've yet to read it (I read Mage: The Hero Discovered last night. Seemed to be a wiser move), but I did take a glance at the cover price.

Mother of God, it's six dollars. Am I wrong in thinking that's absurdly expensive? Did money become less valuable recently? Do people willingly pay that much for a tiny price guide informing them that, no, their near-mint issue of Sonic the Hedgehog isn't going to pay off their student loans? Send me six bucks, and I'll tell you that. Maybe with swears in the middle and a crude rendering of me pointing at you and laughing.

Christ, I may not be funny, but at least I'm free.

1 comment:

Adam said...

I'm glad you said it. I didn't want to.