Saturday, October 15, 2005

The Finest Single Panel of All Time

I firmly maintain that no single panel in history is better than that. I like to think Darren Pang shortened his catchphrase ("HOLY JUMPIN'!") from the longer "holy jumping mother o' God in a sidecar with chocolate jimmies and a lobster bib!" strictly for brevity's sake.
Equally glorious. Sam's ability to cope with the absurd is his finest quality. That, and the fact that he's a five and a half foot tall dog dressed as Sam Spade. Here, Sam and Max have come across a Lovecraftian demon inhabitating a local cereal aisle. In an earlier adventure, Sam ran over an evil witch with their mighty DeSoto while Max slept. Sam explained his actions thusly:

"A seven-foot specter of evil appeared in front of the car, so I ran over it. Sounded like a bag of laundry going under. Hope I didn't hurt the tires. Want a Fig Newton?"


Steve Purcell is a genius for giving me the rules to Fizzball, but he is like unto a God for Sam and Max.

2 comments:

Flint Paper said...

This has to be my favorite comic, tv show, and video game combination of all time. I think it eaks out the Tick because he never had a videogame.

Flint Paper said...

"Ekes"
dammit. learn to use the bleeding preview! argh!